Complaints procedure


Our policy can be found by clicking here

 Complaints Form 

If you have a concern or complaint

We would like you to tell us about it. We welcome suggestions for improving our work in the school. Be assured that no matter what you are wanting to tell us, our support and respect for you and your child in the school will not be affected in any way. Please tell us your concern as soon as possible. It is difficult for us to investigate properly an incident or problem which has happened some time ago.


What to do first

Most concerns or complaints can be sorted out quickly by speaking with your child’s class teacher. If you have a complaint which you feel should be looked at by the Headteacher in the first instance you can contact him straight away if you prefer. It is usually best to discuss the problem face to face. You may need an appointment for this, and can make one by calling in to or ringing the school office. You can take a friend or relation to the appointment with you if you like.

All staff will make every effort to resolve your problem informally. They will make sure that they understand what you feel went wrong and they will explain their own actions to you. They will ask what you would like the school to do to put things right. Of course this does not mean that in every case they will come round to your point of view but it will help both you and the school to understand both sides of the question. It may also help to prevent a similar problem arising again.


What to do next

If you are dissatisfied with the teacher’s response or with the Headteachers initial reaction if he has already been involved you can make a complaint to the Headteacher. This should be made in writing.

If your complaint is about an action of the Headteacher personally, then you should refer it to the Chair of Governors, Helen Evans. You can contact her by email ( or by letter at St Edward’s RC School, Rowland Way, Lees,  Oldham,  OL4 3LQ.  Tel 0161 624 1377

You will be asked to meet for a discussion of the problem. Again you may take someone else with you if you wish. Whether you  choose to take your complaint through the Headteacher or the Chair of Governors, a full investigation of the complaint will be made and you will receive a written response to your complaint.


If you are still unhappy

The problem will normally have been resolved by this stage, however if you are still not satisfied you may wish to contact the Chair of the Governing Body to ask for referral of your complaint to a Governors Complaints panel. It will then be heard by a group of three governors who have no previous knowledge of the problem and so will be able to give it a fresh assessment. You will be invited to attend and speak to the panel at a meeting which the Headteacher will also attend.